Saturday, June 06, 2009

June 6, 1944

I meant to post this blog first thing this (Saturday) morning but as usual I forgot.
This email was sent to me by a very dear friend who is very involved with the Royal Canadian Legion. I don't normally post emails that I receive on my personal HTML account (this is the second one today which is very rare for me.) but I thought I would share this with you.

JUNE 6, 1944
As many of you likely know this Saturday marks the 65Th anniversary of the invasion of Normandy by the Allied forces, and more specifically the Canadian assault on Juno beach. As Canadians I think it is important to stop and reflect at times like these so that we can remember that the freedoms we enjoy today are those that were fought for by our, now aging, veterans. Whether you have a direct connection to the military, through family or friends, please take the 3 minutes to watch this video, share it with those you know will care and most importantly try to help the young people in your lives to better understand the sacrifices that were made for us and for them.
We have a lot of things to be proud of as Canadians and our landing on Juno Beach is one of them.
The Legion (whether Canadian or American) is a great place to connect with veterans at any time; especially this Saturday as most if not all Legions will have some ceremonies or lunch planned. So buy a Canadian flag for your car window, attend a parade, share this message and be proud of your heritage.

June 6, 1944 Juno Beach

No comments: