Friday, May 29, 2009

A day of conversation with a four year old.

My Hubby John, AKA Papa, my four year old Cutie-Patootie Neve, and myself went out for a drive in the car this afternoon. The purpose of the road trip was to do an errand, stop at the DQ for ice-cream and then to try to lure Cutie Patooie into falling asleep for an hour or so....plus it was a beautiful afternoon to just take a drive. After errands and ice cream Cutie Patootie was quite content with her blanket and thumb and the Hanna Montanna CD playing and spent most of the drive just watching out her window and enjoying the scenery.
HJ and I also enjoyed the ride. On the way back into town, Neve started becoming more alert and was quite eager to tell Papa and me stories. She is very good at story telling and although most of it made no sense at all to us we enjoyed every thing she said. When we got back home it was off into the back yard to plant magic paper (paper with flower seeds embedded in it) and tomato plants and to scrub down a stool that has been waiting for Neve to get at it for the last two weeks or. While we were working on the various projects Cutie -Patootie kept up a steady flow of conversation. It was pure girl talk this time. We talked about hair barrettes and finger and toe nail painting, the pros and cons of her high heels and why ladies shave their legs and men don't. We talked about her getting pierced ears...when she's a big girl and she also told me why boys shave their faces but girls don't. Apparently boys are scratchy when they kiss you if they haven't shaved. Girls don't get scratchy, well maybe a little bit when they get really, really,really old. (See what I have to look forward to in my old age?) We discussed a certain boy in school, (she is in preschool BUT NOT with the toddlers, her words not mine.) and how a certain boy always calls her names. She told me that her teacher said that he just liked her and that's how boys show that they like a girl. We both decided that boys could be weirdo's sometimes. We also discussed how boys shouldn't wear too much jewellery and that boys shouldn't wear lipstick. After a small comfortable silence Neve looked me in the face and said, "Grams, I'm glad I'm a girl" When I asked her why she said, "Because girls rule and boys lick and drool!" How could I argue with that logic? She obviously gets her intelligence from the females in the family.

1 comment:

Two Peas In a Pod said...

Ah, what fun...love the topics you talked about! Yes, she must get her smarts from the females in your family!!!
Kyla